Wednesday, December 1, 2010

so this is lov[ing].

Written some two weeks ago, but nonetheless, still very pertinent.


While snuggling 7-year-old cousin Kendra under my arm, she said this:
"Oh, Dree, I could stand like this for HOURS!"
It made my entire day, and it was definitely needing some help.

Now, I'm writing a paper about the stereotypes pressed upon individuals with special needs, and the sad misperceptions so many people have about who they are and what they can and cannot do. I could write the entire 5-7 pages [due tomorrow at 8 AM] on how they can impact your life, if you only give them the time of day - or a piece of your heart. It's a research paper, so I have to do a fair amount of informative explanation and quoting from scholarly sources, but my own passion for the subject - no - the people - will lead me on.


"We all want to be loved -- we all want to be liked -- This love has saved my life" 
-Kevin Yap, Bring Me Hope: Love Delivery: A collection for the orphans [and the suppressed].


It is weird: these kids listen to me [almost] at the drop of a hat, because I'm older than they, and do what I say because I'm their teacher; yet, I don't feel much older than them at all. I remember that time so clearly. Maybe, because I have so many cousins their age, who are -semi- peers. Equals, at least, in the grand scheme of things. And now I'm supposed to be their boss and tell them what they can and cannot do - oh, it's a funky shift.

I'd like to be saying goodnight, but that won't be happening for a few hours, sadly
[it didn't.]

No comments:

Post a Comment